Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fast Cast Protector Build, Why Divine Favor on a protector anyway?

Go down

Fast Cast Protector Build, Why Divine Favor on a protector anyway? Empty Fast Cast Protector Build, Why Divine Favor on a protector anyway?

Post  saeimc Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:25 am

[Note to mods: if you think this thread fits better in the mesmer or monk forums, please move it there. If not, feel free to remove this note.]

Inspired by Earendil's arguments in favor of mesmer primary for protection monks, I've been playing this build since yesterday and am absolutely loving it. It's the most solid build I think I've ever played.

Me/Mo

9+4 Fast Cast, 6+1 Inspiration, 7 Healing, 12 Protection

Restore Condition*, Protective Spirit, Guardian, Aegis, Remove Hex, Inspired Hex, Convert Hexes, Restore Life

Enchanter's Armor
Protection Staff with +5 Energy and +20% Enchantment duration mod

I don't find Reversal of Fortune that important on a prot monk, as your focus should be on: hex and condition removal, blocking, and prot spiriting. RoF, despite being a great skill otherwise, is too much like a healing skill, will eat up your energy, and just isn't your job.

Ask one of the healing monks to take Draw Conditions since Restore Conditions will cover everyone else but yourself. Draw can also help you deal with condition heavy teams (such as trappers).

While the other monks concentrate on healing, your job is to keep conditions and hexes off your team. With two single hex removal skills and one hex stack removal skill, you can almost single-handedly deal with any hexes the enemy throws on you. The other monks shoud still bring 2-3 single hex removal skills between them to help you out.

The nice thing about this build is you get to use mucho efficient monk skills that would otherwise be inefficient because of their cast time. Aegis, Remove Hex, and Convert all have a two second cast time, which is reduced to 1.1 seconds with 13 fast cast. Guardian is reduced from one second to 0.55 seconds, while Restore Life goes from 8 to 4.38.

Some frown on putting a res skill on the primary protector, even if it is fast cast, because you don't want the prot out of the action for so long. However, against certain enemy teams, this character won't be very busy, and I've found the hard res to be invaluable in multiple games with little to no drawback to the rest of the team. Restore Life works best on casters and worst on warriors, so let the rest of the team save their signets for the warriors, rangers, and yourself, and use restore on the others if you can. http://www.theamazonbasin.com/gw/forums/index.php?showtopic=3915
saeimc
saeimc

Back to top Go down