Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A "Serious" team or "Casual" play, Conventions used by The Gerbils

Go down

A "Serious" team or "Casual" play, Conventions used by The Gerbils Empty A "Serious" team or "Casual" play, Conventions used by The Gerbils

Post  saeimc Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:36 am

I posted this thread in the Gerbils forums to have a handy reference for players joining us to understand what is expected and required to play with us on a regular basis. I now think that a lot of this information *defines* the difference between a serious team and a casual team. I thought I'd cross post it here to share how we do things within the Gerbils and foster discussion of other things other people do.

By no stretch of the imagination do I believe this is the only way to run a successful, competitive team. I simply present this as an example of some of the "conventions" that Gerbils, as a serious team, have adopted during our time so far. As always, teamplay is about trust and faith. These help the entire team develop that.

A lot of these things are what aren't followed in Casual play. The difference between a team that follows guidelines such as this and a team that doesn't is instantly noticeable to people who have played in such a team. It makes the difference between win and lose so many times.

Its also why, when I play PvP in a casual setting, I'm less likely to put my hand up to lead or call targets. Having active participation in a team that follows these rules drives a certain mindset and belief and when a casual team fails to live up to those standards, its simply frustrating. I don't EXPECT casual teams to live up to these standards, thats not realistic, but because my expectation is that the team wont, I'm less inclined to lead it.

Once you have led a team of people who blindly follow your orders, even into death, leading a team that doesn't have that blind faith forces a leader to concentrate on peripheral things. Things I don't need to concentrate on when playing with Gerbils. Rather than get confused and lessen my performance when leading Gerbils, I'm much more likely to just sit back and go along for a Casual play ride.

-----
Called Targets

This is said everywhere, but we live and breath by it. Everyone on their assigned targets. Sometimes, that will be split targets. Most times, its focus fire. No exceptions, ever. If a called target is up, everyone is on it. Our leaders never have to think about it, our players never have to consider doing anything else. Called target, always, 100%.

When there is no called target, press c, then space, to automagically start attacking the nearest target, until you hear a new target called on voice comms. Once a new target is called, switch!

I know every team says this but its one of the hardest things to get through to people. I am being serious. Every Gerbil, all the time, is on their called target. When I'm not leading, even if I think your target selection is horrible, I'm on called target. The quickest way to piss me off and upset the rest of the Gerbils is to not follow orders or called targets.

The team cohesion, coordination and certainty that this rule provides is worth more than any individual victory you think you can swing with solo'ing targets.

Off Target Characters

Depending on who is leading the team, Off Target characters will generally be given a target to focus on over voice comms. You should stay on that target unless directed otherwise. If you see a better target, switch, just announce on voice comms who you are switching to.

If you don't get assigned a target, announce on voice comms who you are going to be targetting, both to let the leader know and to remind the leader that they have an off target character to direct as well.

Versus the Undead

Everyone moves up the ramp. No exceptions! There are 3 reasons for this. Firstly, it keeps the enemy all grouped together nicely, no stragglers around such as the warrior chasing down the ramp for people. Secondly, it prevents the enemies gaining a height advantage on you and dealing more damage than they should. Finally, it prevents you losing damage on the target from the height DISadvantage.

Voice Comms

We tend to use very little discussion on voice comms, reserving it almost exclusively for leader comments and strategy calls. Important information is often conveyed on voice comms, such as targets being res'd, identification of key builds in the enemy team, runners, etc. We don't repeat things, its not needed. Because there is very little talking done and information is kept concise, we don't clutter the channel with what you often get in Basin groups.

For example, you never need to ask for a heal. Trust your monks, they can see your life bar and if they are capable of doing anything about it, its already being done. You don't need to call for a res the team knows how important getting people up is, they will prioritise it as they can. If the res is taking too long, the leader should usually speak up. If none of that is happening, say once "Bunnz needs a res" and then be patient.

Some important hexes/conditions are called at times too. Backfire, Amnity, Blindness, Pacisfism etc. Basically, if a hex or condition prevents you fulfilling your role in the team and you are not able to call it in game with Control Click (some can't, thats fine!), then announce once on voice comms "Bunnz is blind" and then let it go.

Movement and positioning

This is a big part of player skill and those joining us are going to have different abilities in this area. Most Gerbils are aware of how positioning can be used to good effect. Are you a monk? Enemy have ranged damage? Is there a wall you can hide behind? etc. There is a thread in one of the forums that lists a few positioning tips.

Of particular note is what to do when you are forced to retreat. Its critical that you do NOT leave the healing range of your monks. Doing so will cause chaos in the team. If you need to kite, the Gerbil way is to run circles around your monks, usually within heal range.

In game calling

Where possible, you should always keep up with team chat. Called targets wont be spammed, they will be called once. That leaves team chat very free for the presentation of additional information, such as conditions, or coordination information, like who is getting seeded etc. Use this! Its very important that you can follow team chat, its what allows us to reduce the voice comms noise.

Where possible, information to be conveyed to the leader should be done through team chat, rather than voice comms. This further reduces the conversation on voice comms and increases its effectiveness in getting orders across.

Obey the strategist

Absolutely no exceptions here either. We run a tight, coordinated team and we respond as a team instantly to directions from our leader. Do you think the directions suck? Doesn't matter, the only action that is suitable is to follow the commands.

To demonstrate how serious we are about this, just read my comments elsewhere about our well behaved lemming like gerbils running under a flaming catapult rock, knowing it was coming, knowing it was likely to kill them, but doing it because the strategist said to. Thats the kind of discipline we play with. Thats the kind of discipline we expect from all our players.

Even when its stupid, as with target calling, the certainty this rule provides is worth more than any single victory.

Leaders

While the new Gerbils have only seen me leading teams so far, its a role that is regularly shared around (whenever I can convince someone else to do it!). Strategy and Target calling go together in most cases and we give exactly the same support to a brand new leader as we do to the experienced leaders amongst us.

You will rarely have a better opportunity to learn and practice team leadership, strategy and target calling than you get in a tight, coordinated team. We all will support you during game, and discuss afterwards what we think you did wrong. You don't need to prove yourself in any way before we accept your leadership and blindly follow your commands, everyone does that as a matter of course. This means its easier to learn and evaluate what happened, because you don't need to second guess whether people followed your orders.

I, personally, am very experienced with calling and strat so I'll often pipe up with suggestions during battle but as leader its your job to decide what we do and when we do it. If you want to do something other than a suggestion I make, DO IT! Like all Gerbils, I'll follow your directions explicitly.

Specifically regarding leadership, except in rated GvG I am always prepared to let someone else lead. In rated GvG, I'd rather have had some experience of playing under your leadership before having you take the team out. If you want to lead, strat and call, please tell me and I'm happy to step back. Use this opportunity everyone, seriously. Practice makes perfect with leadership, calling and strategising.

Organisation

There are 2 typical Gerbil Time session approachs.

For Tombs play with fixed builds, character allocations are usually done by myself based on signup threads, where people are asked to list 3 characters they are capable of playing in the order of preference. I allocate characters based initially on preferences, then who got higher order preferences last time and also the need to fill all 8 slots.

For GvG play, we always have a fixed build. We don't "experiement" with our ladder ranking. If its a friendly unrated match, then we usually take the opportunity to do some cross training, and have people play roles they don't normally play. Character allocation for GvG battles are a bit more rigid. Whilst preferences are still important, I try not to place too many people into new or unfamiliar roles at the same time.

The other sessions, are very adhoc. We wait and see who shows up, someone suggests something to play, we decide who plays what and away we go. This makes these sessions take much longer to get organised on the day.

Losing

We fight, win and lose as a team. Regardless of what has happened, don't point the blame at anyone. If someone pipes up and says "I think I stuffed up when I did ', then thats an opportunity for discussion and learning. Don't start it by saying "Bunnz stuffed it up by doing ".

I think all of us have chimed in with self confessions of why we have lost battles at some point. Its natural, we make mistakes, we learn. As long as our team rallies around us and supports our learning, we all get better. And a culture of blame is not present and not welcome.

I tend to make more confessions of stupidity than most. I tend to lead more than most and am hyper critical of my play. Like everyone else in the team, I hope to learn from my mistakes and get better. Every team member contributes to that by sharing feedback, comments and suggestions.

Often, immediately post battle is a bit tense. Things said immediately post battle need to be carefully phrased, as its easy to see "blame" where blame isn't intended. Allowance has to be given on both sides here, we are serious players, we don't like to lose and, quite rightly, we get upset when we do. That flavours all comments and needs to be kept in mind.

Gerbil Structure

Just very briefly, while I am listed as the "leader" on the guild threads, its a mostly meaningless title. Being in Gerbils is a team effort. I am no more right or wrong than anyone else in the team. You shouldn't "concede" to me in any particular debate just because of that fact. Argue! I usually have an open mind and can be convinced to change my opinion!

Build creators have final say on skills for their builds. Argue, discuss, debate as much as you like, but the person who went to the effort to formally post the build gets final say. Simple rule, applies to everyone. Don't use that as an opportunity to ignore comments from team members however. For adhoc sessions, final say will be whoever is leading the team. If I am leading, then final call will be mine in disputed issues. If Hawk is leading, final call is his.

About the only time I tend to pull rank and dictate terms is where I see potential to seriously damage relations with other Basin Guilds, the leadership team or where I think quick decisions are necessary to be made (for example, Zelcs bungled recruitment!).

Thanks for reading this far, as usual, a simple quick post turns into an essay. http://www.theamazonbasin.com/gw/forums/index.php?showtopic=3343
saeimc
saeimc

Back to top Go down