Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resurrection: Who, When, and Why, strategic and tactical considerations

Go down

Resurrection: Who, When, and Why, strategic and tactical considerations Empty Resurrection: Who, When, and Why, strategic and tactical considerations

Post  sznnp Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:57 am

Last GvG Wednesday, I noticed that one team continually resurrected fallen comrades as quickly as possible. Resurrecting, of course, seems to be a logical course, but is it always the right course?

I've been there, done that in PvP, but more and more I've seen that resurrection has both strategic and tactical considerations that may not be 100% obvious, especially for people just beginning their PvP careers. Hopefully, the insights offered by the experienced PvPers may help the rest of us learn more about how to use this important skill more effectively in battle.

Strategic Considerations
Unless a team has a specific group build, each team will probably need to take some time in advance to coordinate skill distribution. Who should pack resurrection is an important part of this discussion.

A lot of players use monk primaries to resurrect. I've seen heated discussions on this, but in my somewhat limited experience, it looks as if experienced teams use monks to heal and protect--not resurrect. This decision is made on the basis that monks are vulnerable at the best of times, and engaging in resurrection makes them even more vulnerable. It also means that for a significant time--8 seconds cast time for resurrection is eternity in PvP--the monk can't heal the rest of the party.

If the team leader decides that the monk shouldn't resurrect, then which party members make good choices?

Another strategic consideration is which resurrection skill to choose. Monks, whether primary or secondary, can opt to use Rebirth, Restore Life, Resurrection, or Vengeance. Less commonly used is Light of Dwayna (resurrects all nearby dead party members). Non-monks can opt for Resurrection Signet. All of these skills have certain advantages in different situations.

Before going into battle, what goes into the decision about which resurrection skills are likely to be most useful?

Tactical Considerations
If a teammate falls in battle, should that teammate be resurrected? And when?

In some battles, most notably those with a priest/resurrection shrine, fallen party members will be resurrected every two minutes. If the party member dies, say at the 3:45 minute mark, that player will automatically be resurrected in 15 seconds. Is it worth resurrecting the party member, or should the team simply wait for the person to res at the shrine?

These are only a few of the kinds of considerations that tie into the question of resurrection. What kinds of suggestions do the people here have that will give others more insight into this key ability? http://www.theamazonbasin.com/gw/forums/index.php?showtopic=2162
sznnp
sznnp

Back to top Go down