Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Capcom Sued Over Similarities Between "Dead Rising" and "Dawn of the Dead"

Go down

Capcom Sued Over Similarities Between "Dead Rising" and "Dawn of the Dead" Empty Capcom Sued Over Similarities Between "Dead Rising" and "Dawn of the Dead"

Post  zenister Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:53 pm

Not too long ago, Capcom tried to get a declaratory judgment from a Los Angeles court to prevent the owners of the Dawn of the Dead property from suing them after the studio received a letter that argued the similarities between the film and their hit game, Dead Rising. Well, looks like that didn’t work, because Capcom is now being sued by the MKR Group over the dispute. Their complaint outlined a few other similarities besides the premise of “zombies in a mall”:

“Both works are dark comedies,” the complaint filed in U.S. District Court in New York on Monday reads. “In both, the recreational activities of the zombies and absurdly grotesque ‘kill scenes’ provide unexpected comedic relief.”

“Both works provided thoughtful social commentary on the ‘mall culture’ zeitgeist, in addition to serving up a sizable portion of sensationalistic violence,” it said.

No word on what MKR is demanding exactly. It’s not like they can halt production of the game, since Capcom stopped producing it awhile back anyways.

So basically though, if MKR wins this lawsuit, no other game developer can make a game involving zombies and humor. Sure, you can have them jump out and scare the crap out of people; but once they start dying in comical ways, that’s just crossing the line. You know, I’ve only seen the more recent remake of Dawn of the Dead, but I’m pretty sure the original movie didn’t have some photographer dropping into the middle of a mall to put cartoonish masks on zombies and kick them down with soccer balls. I could be mistaken.

http://news.filefront.com/category/gamer-life/game-related-laws/
zenister
zenister

Back to top Go down